While there are computers available for students in various locations at our Huntington, Indiana and Peoria, Arizona locations, it is recommended that students have a device of their own. Many of our programs will have students use their personal devices for coursework and assessments.
Should I buy a desktop or notebook (laptop) computer?
We believe a notebook (laptop) computer will enhance your experience due to added mobility and convenience.
Access to the Internet is provided primarily for academic purposes and e-mail. HU provides a robust wireless network available in all academic and residential areas on campus. Ethernet connections are available only in specific locations.
Minimum Computer Recommendations
- CPU - Intel Core i3 or greater (or AMD equivalent).
- Operating System - Microsoft Windows 10 or newer | Mac OS 10.14 or newer.
- Memory - 8GB or greater.
- Hard Drive - 250GB or larger.
- Camera - supporting 720p or better.
- Wireless Network Access - A dual-band IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless adapter is recommended
- ** Note to Digital Media Arts students: Please refer to the computer recommendations for DMA students found on the Software & Hardware Recommendations page.
What software should I have on my computer?
- Antivirus software - AV Software is required and should be updated on a regular basis. Huntington University recommends and provides free of charge, Sophos Anti Virus. This software is available on both Windows and Mac computers and information on how to request access can be found on the HU Portal.
- Microsoft Office - Provided free for all students of Huntington University and can be obtained by logging in to Microsoft 365 with your HU credentials.