Classes begin in the Fall of 2015!
Best-selling author, leadership consultant and world-renowned psychologist, Dr. John Townsend is bringing his acclaimed counseling and leadership model to Huntington University to form the Townsend Institute for Leadership and Counseling.
“I wanted to partner with a university that, as an organization, is committed to academic excellence, is biblically-based, has a relational culture, is very strategic and can make nimble and agile administrative decisions,” Dr. Townsend said. “Huntington has those qualities and more.”
The first of its kind, the Townsend Institute will provide master’s degree programs in both counseling and organizational leadership. The program curricula are based on Dr. Townsend’s character-based model discussed in his many books, writings and teachings. A primary focus of Dr. Townsend’s model is helping students learn to facilitate transformational relationships, both in counseling and organizations, which help people heal, grow and achieve their potential in life and career.
Through the Townsend Institute, students will be educated in several key arenas of information, including scriptural teachings, counseling and leadership theory and research, neuroscience, and Dr. Townsend’s writings and experience base. The program is designed to be practical and skilled-based, allowing the student to become a practitioner through both theory and technique.
The Townsend Institute will build on the traditional classroom structure and engage students in an innovative, experientially-based training program. More than just learning the Townsend model, students in the programs will be personally taught by Dr. Townsend as he leads sessions to demonstrate the different modules from his character-based model.
“My vision is that The Institute will produce thousands and thousands of best-in-class business leaders, ministry leaders and counselors doing good in the world, trained by a growth model which is character-based, research-supported, highly practical and thoroughly Christian,” Dr. Townsend said. “I want to be personally involved with the students, both on campus and online, in helping them make sense of the material, develop high-level skills, be inspired and help them solve their challenges.”
The program will be offered onsite at the Huntington and Fort Wayne campuses as well as online. The Townsend Institute also will expand to include certificate programs as well as opportunities to take stand-alone courses in leadership training and personal enrichment.
There are a variety of different programs and learning opportunities at the Townsend Institute. Below is a brief summary. For further information, click on the appropriate menu item describing the program.
- Master’s program in counseling. Choose full or part-time and residential or online (under development).
- Master’s program in organizational leadership (under development). Choose full or part-time and residential or online.
- Certificate programs in counseling and organizational leadership (under development). Take 18 hours of key courses. Choose residential or online.
- Leadership Training Courses (under development). 1 credit hour courses. Part of Dr. Townsend’s high-level executive curriculum. Online only.
- Personal Development Courses (under development). 1 credit hour courses. From Dr. Townsend’s books or workshops. Online only.
- Leadership and Personal Enrichment Seminars (under development). No academic credit. Complete at your own pace. Online only.