historical resources publications
Many periodicals were published by the denomination over the years a few of the ones available at the Historical Center are:
- Religious Telescope - began publication December 31, 1834. After 1889 the Telescope was published by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New Constitution)
- Christian Conservator - began publication July 15, 1885 by the Radical faction of the United Brethren Church. After the split of 1889 the periodical became the official publication of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (Old Constitution). The Historical Center has an almost complete run of this publication.
- United Brethren
- Highway of Holiness
- Missionary Monthly - began publication January, 1897 by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (Old Constitution). It was a joint publication of the Board of Missions and the Woman's Missionary Association. Articles consisted of information on United Brethren (Old Constitution) missions, missionary correspondence, general information on world missions, and WMA activities and minutes. The Missionary Monthly ceased publication March 1954 when it merged with the Christian Conservator to form the United Brethren. The Historical Center has a complete run of this publication.
- United Brethren Year-Book is a record of annual conference ministers by year. Some issues also contain photographs of officials, histories of the denominations and its institutions and lists of denominational officials.
- Unity Magazine and Christian Repository
- Women's Evangel — Devoted to missionary interests it was published by the Woman's Missionary Association prior to 1889 and by the Woman's Missionary Association (New Constitution) after 1889.
Books and pamphlets - since 1834 the United Brethren Printing Establishment has published monographs, Conference minutes, Disciplines, biographies and histories. The last United Brethren Print Shop was discontinued in the early 1980s. Many of the publications printed by the United Brethren are being made available digitally. The link here will take you to our Research Guide to United Brethren Publications.
Hymnals - United Brethren have been active in compiling hymnbooks since the 1795 publication of Das Aller Neuste Harfenspiel (My Very Latest Play of the Harp). The first English Hymnbook was published in 1826. The last United Brethren Hymnal was published in 1973. Click here to view a few UB hymnals and songbooks that have been digitized.