Huntington, Ind.—Huntington College staff and students plan to serve in Kosovo this spring break, March 15-19, 2004.
The team will serve in the city of Gjakova, located in a mountainous region of Kosovo. Teams in the past have installed wells and woodstoves, poured concrete slabs and delivered firewood, couches, beds and food to widows and their families.
“We will be doing much of the same physical projects,” said Joanne Miller, staff leader of the trip and advisor to the Joe Mertz Center and student activities at Huntington College. “We will also be doing a lot of relational ministry. I am convinced that we will return to the States with renewed hearts and a deeper understanding of God’s love and mercy.”
The team will work with a small church-planting group of Albanian and American Christians who have served in Gjakova since the end of the recent war.
“Living conditions in Gjakova are harsh. Many have no running water and power outages are frequent. Piles of garbage line the roadways,” Miller said.
Paco Michelson, a senior bible and religion major from Huntington, Ind., will serve as the student leader.
Other students serving include:
· Amanda Brody, a senior business education major from Fort Wayne, Ind.
· Rachel Bushong, a junior oral communication major from North Manchester, Ind.
· Allison Cool, a senior elementary education major from Asuncion, Paraguay.
· Aaron Senter, a sophomore elementary education major from Sikeston, Mo.
· Jacob Sikora, a senior Bible and religion major from Bryan, Ohio.
· Beth Waterman, a senior educational ministries major from Sharpsville, Ind.
· Jennifer Wathen, a junior psychology major from Newburgh, Ind.
Huntington College is a comprehensive Christian college of the liberal arts offering graduate and undergraduate programs in more than 60 academic concentrations. USNews & World Report ranks Huntington among the top comprehensive colleges in the Midwest. Founded in 1897 by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, Huntington College is located on a contemporary, lakeside campus in Huntington, Indiana. The College is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU).
# # #