Huntington, Ind.—A team of three staff members, one alumnus and 10 students left for a 24-day mission trip to Uganda this morning.
While there, the group will worship with communities, show “The Jesus Film,” do construction work and facilitate vacation Bible schools. In addition, the team will meet with representatives from Uganda Christian University, Samaritan’s Purse, the U.S. Embassy and Wycliffe Bible Translators.
Senior Drew Clay works with Ugandan boys.
The course description is as follows: “The purpose of this course is to expose students to the issues of HIV/AIDS, poverty, and mission strategies in Uganda, Africa. They will be called upon to integrate academic thought and practical experience in order to shape a Christian worldview. From May 14-June 5, 2006, students will work with Food for the Hungry’s various ministry sites. These include the Child Development Program for HIV/AIDS orphans; Bringing Hope, the HIV/AIDS medical ministry and abstinence program; and the local churches’ clean water initiatives. In addition to ministry experience, students will have the opportunity to hear local leaders discuss the issues and trends in medicine, social ills and church leadership.”
Junior Andrea Francis converses with a Ugandan man and his children.
“I chose Uganda after interviewing many mission organizations and finding the best fit with Food for the Hungry,” said Nicole Fain, assistant director of campus ministries.
Trip participants include
· Bill Fisher, dean of Christian faith & life
· Nicole Fain, assistant director of campus ministries
· Jodi Fielder, administrative assistant to the dean of Christian faith & life
· Ryan Darr, a 2006 alumnus from Adrian, Mich., with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics
· Susan Bensen, a junior public relations major from Des Plaines, Ill.
· Katie Brautigam, a senior psychology major from Huntington, Ind.
· Kyle Brenneman, a senior worship leadership major from Spencerville, Ohio
· Seth Caldwell, a senior communication studies major from Mansfield, Ohio
· Emily Caley, a senior educational ministries major from Byron Center, Mich.
· Drew Clay, a senior accounting major from Van Wert, Ohio
· Andrea Francis, a junior missions major from Peru, Ind.
· Beth Warblow, a junior social work major from Byron Center, Mich.
· Joel Wentz, a junior music business major from Greencastle, Pa.
· Chynna Wright, a senior social work major from New Philadelphia, Ohio