HUNTINGTON, Ind. - It was sweet revenge that couldn’t have come at a better time as the 2nd-seeded HU men’s tennis team (11-2) knocked off 3rd-seeded Indiana Wesleyan University, 5-3, Thursday afternoon in semifinal action of the Crossroads League tourney to advance to the championship match on Saturday.
The Wildcats handed Huntington its only conference loss of the season back on September 10 but history would not repeat itself as the Foresters lived up to their second seed status to advance to the finals where they will host 4th-seeded Marian University who upset top-seeded Grace College earlier today.
HU will look capture their second tournament title in four years.
Things started off much like the last time these two teams met with the No. 1 duo of Vlad Khudziy and Jose Hungria collecting HU’s only win in doubles action. The twosome claimed an 8-4 win over IWU’s Kyle Johnson and Brandon Dubuque.
It didn’t rattle Coach Eckert’s squad as they went to work in singles play to claim wins at four of the five spots to wrap up the win and stop play at the final matchup, No. 2 singles.
Saturday’s championship match is slated for 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) def. Kyle Johnson (IWU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Joseph Straznicky (HU) vs. Brandon Dubuque (IWU) – did not finish
3. Jose Hungria (HU) def. Leonard Mathews (IWU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Diego Inurritegui (HU) def. Gavin White (IWU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Daniel Smith (IWU) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Derek Hinen (HU) def. Adam Wroughton (IWU) 7-5, 6-3
1. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) def. Johnson/Dubuque (IWU) 8-4
2. Mathews/White (IWU) def. Straznicky/Inurritegui (HU) 8-6
3. Tabor/Wroughton (IWU) def. Sparks/Derek Hinen (HU) 8-5