HUNTINGTON, Ind. - The Huntington men’s tennis team extended their record to 7-2 with a 6-3 win over visiting Indiana Tech Wednesday afternoon.
The Foresters got off to a great start by sweeping doubles with the most notable match coming at the No. 3 spot where Zakk Sparks and Joe Brenneman dug themselves out of a 4-1 hole to claim an 8-5 win.
Vlad Khudziy and Jose Hungria continued their winning ways at No. 1 singles where they sealed their 13th win against just one loss on the season while Joseph Straznicky and Diego Inurritegui made easy work at #2 doubles to move to 10-2 on the year.
Hungria claimed his team’s first win in singles with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 3 spot while Inurritegui earned HU’s fifth point with a 6-2, 6-3 win at #4 singles to seal the overall team win. Khudziy moved to 11-1 on the season and rounded out Huntington’s scoring with a 6-4, 7-6 win at the top spot.
Coach Eckert was pleased with his team’s showing. “This was a great win for HU tonight as it prepares us for the last two conference matches of the year against two other top teams in the conference, Marian University and Grace College. “
With two conference matches remaining, the Foresters are in the mix for the top spot in the conference standings. HU will host Marian University, currently undefeated in league play, on Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
1. Vlad Khudziy (HU) def. Joaquin Ferrando (IT) def. 6-4, 7-6
2. Sriram Aranganathan (IT) def. Joseph Straznicky (HU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jose Hungria (HU) def. Gaston Raposo (IT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Diego Inurritegui (HU) def. Mikel Oscoz (IT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Joaquin de Leon del Rosario (IT) def. Zakk Sparks (HU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Nicholas Tripanon (IT) def. Arjun Bhalla (HU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Khudziy/Hungria (HU) def. Oscoz/del Leon del Rosario (IT) 8-4
2. Straznicky/Inurritegui (HU) def. Ferrando/Raposo (IT) 8-3
3. Sparks/Joe Brenneman (HU) def. Aranganathan/Vinicuis Silva (IT) 8-5