FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The HU men’s tennis team opened up the season Thursday afternoon at Wildwood Racquet Club with a 9-0 loss against one of its toughest opponents on the schedule in Cardinal Stritch University.
Rains forced the match to be moved from Klopfenstein Courts to an indoor venue in Fort Wayne and a Cardinal Stritch squad that features three new players in its top four spots, didn’t seem to miss a beat.
The Wolves swept the Foresters in straight sets from top to bottom but Coach Kreg Eckert is optimist about his team’s first outing.
“The score was not reflective of the matches,” said Eckert. “There were a lot of long games, we just weren’t able to convert. Playing against very competitive opponents allowed our guys to work on different aspects of their game to improve in some specific areas. As a result, we are now much better prepared to open conference against Grace College on Wednesday.”
The Foresters (0-1) will host the Lancers at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
1. Florian Fresse (CSU) def. Adrian Beloqui (HU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Caio Barros (CSU) def. Joe Brenneman (HU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jimmy Le (CSU) def. Volodymyr Kohut (HU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Ray Weich (CSU) def. Jacob Cross (HU) 6-0, 6-0
5. George Watson (CSU) def. Mark Lewandowski (HU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Donnersson Penna (CSU) def. Matthew Wilcox (HU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Wong/Weich (CSU) def. Beloqui/Brenneman (HU) 8-2
2. Watson/Le (CSU) def. Cross/Kohut (HU) 8-1
3. Stuart Nett/Alef Guimaraes (CSU) def. Wilcox/ Lewandowski (HU) 8-2