HUNTINGTON, IN OCTOBER 4.1996---Huntington College’s chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Scholarship Society inducted twelve new members during a special college convocation on Friday, October 4 at 11:00 a.m. in the Merillat Centre for the Arts auditorium.
Judge Jeffrey R. Heffelfinger, a 1977 graduate of Huntington College and former member of Alpha Chi, presented the induction ceremony lecture, which he titled "Life on a Three by Five Card." Heffelfinger reflected on his education at the College and describe its impact on his faith and career.
G. Blair Dowden, President of the College, offered the invocation, while the college’s Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Marlene Schleiffer, provided special music.
Alpha Chi membership is Huntington College’s highest academic honor. Members are committed to promoting both academic excellence and service on campus.
New Alpha Chi members include:
- Bradley L. Blandin, a junior accounting and business management major from Walbridge, Ohio. He is the son of Kenneth and Lynda Blandin.
- Nathaniel J. Bordeaux, a junior history education major from Huntington, Indiana. He is the son of William and Linda Bordeaux.
- Christy R. Brower, a junior mathematics education major from Roann, Indiana. She is the daughter of Ted and Delinda Brower.
- Julie S. Hollopeter, a junior educational ministries and communications double major from Huntington, Indiana. She is the daughter of Jason and Donna Hollopeter.
- Christine Jensen, a junior mathematics major from Blissfield, Michigan. She is the daughter of Theodore and Rochelle Jensen.
- Jeremy R. McClung, a junior Bible/religion and educational ministries double major from Crystal Beach, Ontario. He is the son of Bob and Linda McClung.
- Ryan Reger, a junior history major from Pendleton, Indiana. He is the son of Malcolm and Carolyn Reger.
- Robert Reid, a senior educational ministries major from Osseau, Michigan. He resides with his wife, JoEllyn, in Huntington, Indiana.
- Andrea Sommer, a junior psychology major from Findlay, Ohio. She is the daughter of Bill and Joyce Sommer.
- Rebecca Wallace, a junior psychology major from Princeton, Illinois. She is the daughter of Max and Kay Wallace.
- Matthew S. Webb, a junior theatre major from Huntington, Indiana. He is the son of William and Sandra Webb.
- Jonathan Wilhite, a junior exercise science major from Kouts, Indiana. He is the son of Michael and Cheryl Wilhite.
HC’s Indiana Beta Chapter of Alpha Chi is very active both regionally and nationally. Of more than 300 chapters across the nation, Huntington’s organization was selected last year as one of twenty-nine "Star Chapters."
Dr. Paul Michelson, distinguished professor of history, is the sponsor of the Indiana Beta Chapter at Huntington College. Ann McPherren, associate professor of business and economics, is the associate sponsor. Trent Kreischer, a senior elementary education major, is the president of the chapter.
Huntington College was founded in 1897 by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. For 100 years, Huntington College has offered high-quality academic programs "to equip men and women to impact our world for Christ." Located on a contemporary, wooded campus in Huntington, Indiana, the four-year liberal arts college offers graduate and undergraduate programs in nearly 50 academic concentrations.
# # #