software & hardware requirements
REQUIRED: Portable External Hard Drive - Due to the nature of the program, it is required that every student purchase an external hard drive. Below is what we would consider minimum required specifications:
• 500GB Hard Drive
• USB 3.0
• Firewire 800 (Optional)/Thunderbolt
REQUIRED: Cintiq Pen Grip Pen (or any other Cintiq pen compatible with Cintiq 22HD AND Cintiq 21UX)
Optional upgrade: Intuos Pro Small-Pen and Touch Tablet
Provides the portability of a digital tablet while the pen is compatible with our Cintiq labs. This option is highly recommended.
REQUIRED: Professional Stereo Headphones – All DMA students are required to have their own professional stereo headphones that enclose the ear. Ear buds and hobbyist headphones are unacceptable for developing critical listening required in freshman-level audio classes. Here are some recommendations:
• Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
OPTIONAL: Wacom Tablet – This enables a student to work outside the lab but it is not mandatory. The DMA labs will support the following two tablets. The DMA animation labs are outfitted with Cintiq monitors.
• Wacom Bamboo Splash - The Wacom Bamboo Splash is specifically tailored to digital artists. It offers 1024 levels of pen sensitivity and comes with the program ArtRate. Cost is about $79.
• Wacom Intuos 5 - The Wacom Intuos 5 is top of the line when it comes to drawing tablets and offers double the levels of pen sensitivity that the Bamboo Splash has. Cost is about $229 for the small (recommended size), $349 for the medium and $469 for the large.
REQUIRED: Portable External Hard Drive - Due to the nature of the program it is required that every student purchase an external hard drive. Below is what we would consider minimum required specifications:
• A minimum 500GB Hard Drive (1TB should hold 4 years worth of work.)
• USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 Drives are not acceptable.)
• Firewire 800
• Spindle speed of 7200 RPM (Caution: If the drive manufacturer does not state this – the drive probably spins at 5400 RPM which is not acceptable.)
• A Thunderbolt port is a nice feature, but is not yet required.
• Portability is a nice feature, but is not required.
REQUIRED: Card Reader – The card reader must work for both SD and CF (Compact Flash) cards. USB 3.0 is preferred.
• Recommendation: Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader
REQUIRED: SD Card – A 16gb minimum card should be purchased.
• Recommendation: Transcend 64GB Flash Memory Card
REQUIRED: Professional Stereo Headphones – All DMA students are required to have their own professional stereo headphones that enclose the ear. Ear buds and hobbyist headphones are unacceptable for developing critical listening required in freshman level audio classes.
• Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
All Digital Media Arts Majors:
**Click here to visit the Huntington University Applestore for discounts on Apple software and hardware.**
Recommended Software - If you are purchasing a computer for the program, we also recommend getting the most recent copy of the new Adobe Creative Cloud as this package offers many of the programs we use on a daily basis.
Recommended vs. Required Systems - The recommended systems are NOT required for the Digital Media Arts program. They are provided as guides for your purchase of hardware/software. The University provides DMA lab computers with software needed for DMA course requirements for use by students enrolled in DMA courses.
Mac-based specifications for DMA and Film Studies Recommended Systems
If purchasing a new Mac for the school year, we recommend purchasing a 15” MacBook Pro Laptop or a 21.5” or 27” iMac. Any configuration of these systems will work, but obviously, the higher they are configured the faster they will run. At minimum we recommend upgrading to 8GB Ram and a 7200RPM Hard Drive.
Windows-based specifications for DMA and Film Studies Recommended Systems
Although the current labs that support the DMA and Film Studies programs utilize Apple computers, most of the software used can also run on the Windows operating system. For those that don't, other software may provide the equivalent function. When there is no alternative, the DMA/Film Studies labs can be used.
The following are the recommended minimum specifications for a DMA/Film Studies major's computer:
• Processor - Intel Quad-Core 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
• Memory - 8GB or higher
• Graphics card - OpenGL 2.0 Compatible Graphics Card 512MB or higher